Richard Friend, Ph. D.
Richard Friend’s passion is to create a world that works by developing leadership capacity and giving voice to the power of inclusion; whether this is in the world of work, the world of our communities or the world at large. For more than 35 years, through teaching, research and consulting Richard Friend has committed his life to building organizations where people transform the status quo and enable lasting results. In today’s increasingly global world, driving results requires leaders who create inclusive organizations that fully engage diverse groups of people who give their best.
Dr. Friend is particularly interested in helping organizations:
- Build a pipeline of effective leaders who can guide the enterprise into the future.
- Harness the talent of a diverse and engaged workforce.
- Design and execute change efforts to promote excellence, innovation and strategic advantage.
His love for academic rigor and practical application emerge from having served on the faculty and staff of both the University of Pennsylvania’s Graduate School of Education and Carnegie Mellon University’s Heinz College Executive Education Programs; as well as years of on-the-ground experience partnering with leaders in workplaces and communities throughout the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America and Europe. He has worked in almost every sector including higher education, health care, engineering, utilities, manufacturing, technology, communications, professional services, government, military and not for profit.
Richard Friend is guided by the following principles for living and working:
- Modeling integrity in his life and his life’s work
- Building organizations where people are valued for who they are, not in spite of it
- Creating a world that works where people recognize, celebrate and utilize our similarities, differences and interdependence.